Children’s Concerts are interactive, 45-minute weekday presentations at Kohl Mansion designed to introduce elementary and preschool aged students to a real, live concert experience. Fast-paced and lively, these performances by professional musicians engage young audiences through participatory games, songs, and movement. They are ideal for class or group field trips, as well as individual families. Children’s Concerts are offered at the subsidized ticket price of $6 per child or accompanying adult. For more information, contact our Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope to restart these concerts in spring 2024.
Past Children’s Concerts
Hailed for their spirited performances and fascinating fusion of jazz with Latin and folk rhythms ...
Grupo Falso Baiano is a choro group that offers a window into the history and diverse culture of Brazil. ...
The Huckleberry Quartet takes young audiences on a whirlwind tour of musical styles and cultural traditions ...
The Aurio Trio (keyboards, tuba and bassoon) takes young audiences on a zany adventure that spans the continents ...
Known for its innovative and fun approach to music of many genres and cultures, Classical Jam connects with listeners of all ages, sharing a journey to different times and places through the universal language of music. An unforgettable musical adventure for all!
- For grades K-5
- Sound Impact: Sound Impact’s newest Time Travel through Music program unlocks the Superpowers of Music. For 45 minutes, students will cross multiple centuries and traverse cultural boundaries, unveiling the awe-inspiring abilities of music. The Sound Impact string quartet will showcase music’s superpowers through live performance, enchanting narrative, expressive movements, cutting-edge digital vignettes, and engaging interactive activities. Get ready to experience the limitless Superpowers of Music for all of us! Up, up, and away! Contact email@example.com for more information.
- For grades 6-12
- Brass Over Bridges Performances: Music at Kohl Mansion (MAKM) is excited to bring Brass Over Bridges to your school! Utilizing MAKM’s theme for the year, “Music is a Superpower!” the brass quintet’s 45-minute presentation shows how music has the power to connect people, allows us to express ourselves, and helps create meaningful experiences in our lives. The quintet will play music from the classical canon, cinema, and pop. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Music of Revolution Workshop: Sound Impact’s 45-minute Music of Revolution workshop, geared toward grades 6-12, is an interactive experience that incorporates digital content, music performance, discussion, and creative writing activities to explore music’s role in revolution and the power of our voices to build unity and understanding. Members of the Sound Impact team will visit your school in person to facilitate the workshop and engage with your students. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Free Student Tickets: A generous donor makes a limited number of mainstage concert series tickets available for free to students and educators. To inquire about these tickets, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all grades
- Mainstage Artist Performances: Music at Kohl Mansion’s world-class mainstage concert series artists would love to visit your school! These in-person visits can take whatever format you like – whether it’s a performance, Q&A, masterclass with your students – or any combination thereof. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Founded in 2013, Sound Impact is a collective of musicians dedicated to connecting, engaging and empowering youth beyond the concert hall through performances and education programs. Its mission is underpinned by the belief that music has the ability to ignite positive social change when employed as a tool for community engagement. Sound Impact reaches over 10,000 young people annually through programs including in-school education concerts, classroom curriculum, interactive workshops, a virtual education series, innovative ukulele training, incarcerated youth residencies, international festivals, and cultural exchange opportunities. Sound Impact is proud to partner with Music at Kohl Mansion to bring innovative music programs to classrooms and families throughout the Bay Area.
Sound Impact: Rebecca Jackson-Picht, violin; Emma Votapek, violin; Tiffany Richardson, viola; Katie Youn, cello
Brass Over Bridges
Based in San Francisco, Brass Over Bridges is an ensemble that understands that music is all about connection. Inspired by the artistic community of the San Francisco Bay Area, Brass Over Bridges seeks to engage audiences with music across barriers of style and artistic discipline. Recipients of the Aspen Music Festival’s “American Brass Quintet Fellowship” and the Cypress String Quartet’s “Cypress Award,” Brass Over Bridges combines the sensitivity and expression of chamber music with the resonance and color of brass instruments.
Brass Over Bridges is passionate about supporting school music programs, through creating performances and innovative workshops designed to educate and inspire young musicians. Members are: trumpeters Joseph Brown and Ari Micich, french hornist Erika Miras, trombonist Esther Armendariz and bass trombonist Will Baker.
Platinum Partner Award
Established during the 2021-22 school year, Music at Kohl Mansion’s (MAKM) Anneke Gaenslen Platinum Partner Award, named for longtime Co-Chair of the Education & Outreach Committee Anneke Gaenslen, recognizes a school or music department’s outstanding participation in MAKM’s Music-in-Schools Program during a given school year. The Platinum Partner Award celebrates educators who invest in the enrichment of students through live educational performances and ongoing coaching of music students by professional Bay Area musicians.
Our 2022-23 Anneke Gaenslen Platinum Partner is Aragon High School
, led by music teachers John Chen and Kevin Gallagher.
2022-23: Aragon High School, led by John Chen and Kevin Gallagher
2021-22: Borel Middle School, led by Helene Grotans, Nicolas Fraire, and Kate Roseman
Young Chamber Musicians in Residence at Music at Kohl Mansion
Please visit the YCM website for more information.
Partners in music education since early 2011, Music at Kohl Mansion and Young Chamber Musicians present a series of admission-free public programs at the Kohl Mansion and in the community. These programs showcase talented student chamber musicians in performances and master classes with distinguished guest artists.
About Young Chamber Musicians
Young Chamber Musicians, created and directed by violist Susan Bates, offers advanced chamber music instruction and exciting performance opportunities for string players and pianists ages 14-20.
The curriculum includes weekly coaching and group rehearsal, master classes by renowned chamber music artists from near and far, student performance opportunities and exposure to professional concerts that engage students as both performers and listeners.
The program immerses students in the chamber music repertoire to develop ensemble skills; encourage musical imagination; and, experience the art of working with others.
Young Chamber Musicians work in collaboration with Music at Kohl mansion and performs in the Mansion’s Library and Great Hall in the program’s public master classes, overture performances and the annual Finale Concert. Through Music at Kohl’s Carlstrom Student Ticket Program, YCM students attend chamber concerts free of charge.
Young Chamber Musicians is led by long-standing champion of chamber music education, Susan Bates with guest appearances by noted chamber music artists from near and far. Ms. Bates holds the 1992 award for “Excellence in Chamber Music Training” from Chamber Music America; and since 1982, she has guided numerous young musicians who are now pursuing careers as professional musicians and playing chamber music “for the love of it”.
Photo: Eugene Kiang
Music at Kohl Mansion is providing the below resources to help our patrons locate music teachers, local children’s musical performances, instrument rental and retail purchase locations, music schools, children’s music performances and articles you may find helpful and interesting. We are not in partnership or endorse these resources, but encourage parents to use them as a guide to enrich their children’s musical experiences.
Coaching and Masterclasses
Music at Kohl Mansion’s free instrumental and choral coaching program connects San Mateo County middle and high school music programs with professional musicians for sectionals and ensemble rehearsals. We have coaches available for cello, choir, double bass, flute, percussion, violin, trumpet, French horn, trombone, bassoon and euphonium – and are looking to expand! To schedule one or more coaching sessions for your ensembles, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instrument Donation to Schools
In collaboration with Music in Schools Today, Music at Kohl Mansion collects used musical instruments of all kinds donated by community members and distributes them for free to area schools. These instruments give students an opportunity to learn how to play music, even if they may otherwise not be able to afford an instrument. Our inventory is ever-changing, but if there is an instrument your school wants or needs, please let us know, and we will do our best to find it! Contact email@example.com with any instrument needs. Have an instrument to donate? Check out the information about your tax-deductible donation here.